Tuesday 12 June 2012

The Scotchy delights

This was my first visit of the (Butterfly/other things on the wing) year to this little site on the outer reaches of the river Don in Jarrow. Its lies between a housing est.(Scotch est) and the A19 and Ive spent many a hour down "the dene" in my youth,as most kids did (and still do) growing up around this area.
I had about a hour here today wandering back and forth and what a pleasure it was. I had came here with Banded Demioselles in mind this morning as this is a great site Ive found over the years for them. I found 3 males here today and these took a little finding, mainly settled on brambles and not in the longer grass as usually here.
 Stunning critters these insects.!
 Counted 5 Dingy Skippers in this dene today, this I believe to be the first record of these butterflies at this site.? First for me here anyway!
 At least 8 male Orangetips
 Only saw one Speckled wood, other futterbyes- I Common blue and large and small whites.
 At least 4 Chimney sweeper moths...not seen these here before either!
And this beauty- a Ruby tiger moth...cannot remember seeing one of these before.
Excellent short visit and I'll be back soon hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment